Re: Freight Victoria Update!

> Dynamic brakes?

We got T390 here at Wodonga as a temporary Pilot, and she is upgraded, but
not fitted Dynamic Brakes. However I think it is ex-storage, and Engine blew
out a lot of smoke and showered oil over everything today. I fear it is
sick, and believe it will go to Kolamin and Junee when our Y class is
out-shopped next week. And Yes I believe Dynamics are being considered for
some T Class, and that was a rumour I picked up at Dynon last week. Tied to
the rumour was that G543 "Golf Buggy"
was having her wheels narrowed to run Uncle Bens to Wodonga [9691/2] Now
here is a prime place to put X47 or X49 as it is very rare for this train to
exceed 700tonnes . Perhaps a T could be used to get the hp somewhere up
there, when required.

> You also mentioned "alternators" for some locos. Does this mean AC
> traction motors?

You don't need AC traction Motors because you have Alternators! H.D
Thyristors turn the ac power back into DC. There are lots of efficiencies
doing it this way and Alternators are less trouble than Generators, all our
Locos since 1974 have been fitted with them. I would not expect any
refurbished Loco to get AC Traction Motors. The electrical system is just
not compatible.

> If quad locos will become regular, it might be an idea to remove the cabs
> entirely from some Ts and Ys and make them slave units.

No because you lose the opportunity to tailor your trains, as an
example...One or two T's could take a rake of empties to Sale whilst local
worked engines bring small loads across the damaged bridge, and all locos
together can take the loaded train to Tottenham. The Local Goods to Maryvale
could drop of engines for the sweeping next day and it continues.

> > The New X , and Even 2nd Series X, could receive the G Class Power Packs
and
> > other bits and pieces as required.
>
> 2000hp 645s for the S class? :)
Better still paint them Freight Victoria, clean the insides up and give them
to me on the oily , don't need Air Conditioning at night, do you?
Rod ;o)

--
http://hobsonmodelrail.rrdepot.com/
Foundation President and Co-Founder