Re: [NSW] Fairfield - Widemere Quarry Branchline

chris@enet21.com.au wrote:

> Another interesting and similar line was the one to Prospect quarry. When
> did this close? I have been told that one of the locos was buried out near
> the quarry although others have told me it was cut up
>
> Regards
>
> Chris.
>
> Jonathan Lau wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any info of the branch line that ran from Fairfield to
> > Widemere Quarry (near Prospect Reservoir)?. Have there been any Bulletin
> > articles on it?
> >
> > I have found some info in the ARHS Track diagrams CD, but would like to
> > find out when the line closed, operations over the line, etc.
> >
> > What surprises me about this little known branch line is the length of
> > it (around 9 kms) and that the line ran most of the way on existing
> > roads.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Jon Lau

I have a soft cover book of 22 pages called Blue Metal and River Stones
published by The NSW Steam Tram and Railway Preservation Society in
1956. It cost 2/6!. It gives info on the 2 lines mentioned above. I
could either give info on this newsgroup or email scans from the book
(if legal). Let me know if I can help.
I was born and bred in the area, no trains running then, and often drove
along roads where track formations were quite clear. The railways were
shown on street directories at the time.

Doug.