Re: slr and historical trams

Dave Proctor <thadocta@spambait.dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
880gns$k9b$1@news1.mpx.com.au">news:880gns$k9b$1@news1.mpx.com.au...
> Gail BENNETT wrote in message <880frv$it9$1@news1.mpx.com.au>...
> >Can anybody tell me as to why they have never operated passenger carrying
> >historical Sydney trams on the Sydney Light Rail tracks, as a special
> event?
>
> Different voltage, I believe - they would have to convert the historic
> trams.

They could just operate at all times in "series" - 375 volts across each
motor - they would probably be speed-restricted anyway. Only problem might
be whether the insulation can stand the continuous application of 25 %
higher voltage. And there is the problem of fitting them with pantographs,
or ensuring the overhead can cope with trolleypoles. Anyone know about the
latter - points would be the main problem. But they've done it in Melbourne!
(i.e operated trolley-pole trams on the 'light rail lines', which are set up
for pantos only.)

--
Rgds

Ron BESDANSKY