Re: Straight from the Horse's Mouth

> *       The Overland has lost considerable sums of money, but much
less than
> Australian National.  There is no justification for a Monday and
Tuesday service in most weeks in
> February or March.
>There are not enough passengers!  This is a simple fact that has been
in evidence
> for 5 plus years.
Yes there is, in fact most of the travellers don't realise there is a
rail service in between Adelaide and Melbourne! How many backpack
travellers know that it only cost as little as 30$ for the journey?
Overland, in my point of view did not enjoy as much publicity as Ghan
and IP, in fact most people think GSR owns IP and Ghan only!

> *       Track speed is now (since September 1999) not an issue.  The
market is telling us the present
> timetable for a night service is at its optimum - any less would be
>unworkable.
If Overland gonna do a daylight trip, speed WILL be an issue.

> *       Coach class sit-ups meet a segment of the market in an
effective manner.  It is not deluxe and is
> not sold as such.  Our market research says that a lounge car (at an
extra price in coach class) would
> not be supported by passengers.
for a long distance journey like IP or Ghan, a lounge maybe needed, It
doesn't have to be luxury, just simple space to strech leg etc.

> *       I have no fears about Virgin or any other competitor - it is
>a free market economy.
I do, you lost Overland already BEFORE Virgin came in.You can't ensure
us Gahn and IP will be there forever!

> *       First class is a holiday not A to B travel.  You may not like
this, but it is the market segment that
> we meet and meet well.  Comparison to airfares is a nonsense.
It does make sense,
Shorter, intercapital journey needs to be competitive with other modes,
like Overland,XPT  for example

> We have never stated we support a move to Adelaide Station, anyway
Yes, not you but the previous CEO of GSR.

Cheers
James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.