Re: ? for Trainman re SL15/16 last weekend - Was: G7 up to 160 km/h

Maurie Daly wrote in message ...

>On average,how many cars does the griffith pass have.?
>The most I have ever seen is 3 , 2 cars + powervan.

It started with 4 - PHA, RDH, NDS, NDS - it is now 3 - PHA, RDH, NDS, NDS.

>This train must rate as one of the greatest loss makers that Countrylink
run.
>A 2000 HP loco to haul at the most 150 tonnes, (13 HP/tonne) .
>Also , why is it necessary for the train to run all the way from Sydney.?

Politics.

>Since it follows the XPT on the down and preceedes it on the up surely it
>would make far more sense to simply run the train from Junee to Griffith
and >back with a connection with the XPT in both directions.

The politicians promised a direct service, and that is what they have. The
fact that a once weekly service is next to useless is irrelevant.

>Obviously the argument here is that we have to get the loco to Junee
somehow.
>Obvious answer is simply to sub contract Austrac or even Freight Victoria
>provide a loco from Junee to Griffith and back again.
>Even a Freightcorp 48 would be  OK.
>Much cheaper and more logical  than running a 422 all the way to Junee and
>back.
>Of course logic wont come into it .

Not when politicians are involved.

Dave