Re: Yet another Sydney derailment

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000 23:33:15 +1100, "Ronald BESDANSKY"
<ronbest@bigpond.com> wrote:

>There is a criminal offence known as "criminal defamation". Actions by the
>Crown are rare, but there was one recently. I can't remember who said what
>about
> who(m).

"Criminal libel"?

The offender was Frank Hardy for his book "Power without Glory", but
it was 50 years ago.  The offence was to imply that Nellie Wren was an
aldultress, via Hardy's depiction of "Nellie West"  Hardy was
acquitted. That was then the first-ever prosecution in Australia and I
think, still the only.  There may have been a recent case elsewhere-
or perhaps I'm thinking of Oscar Wilde, another well-known offender-
he was convicted and went to Brixton.

Geoff Lambert