Re: Red Light Runners

"Lourie Smit" <lsmit@ozemail.com.au> writes:

>Following is an extract from an article in today's Daily Telegraph on the
>above subject:
>" The number of train drivers (in NSW) running red signals has nearly
>doubled during the past five years, new figures show.
>There were 97 trains across the state's rail network last year that passed
>"signals at stop" without following proper procedures, up from 49 notified
>incidents in 1995.
>Under safe working procedures, a train may proceed through a red signal
>after a minute - provided it proceeds slowly and contacts the nearest signal
>box.

Assuming this is exactly as-printed in the paper, I'll excuse you, because
this is absolutely *wrong*, and makes no mention of controlled signals,
subsidiary indications, etc.

What that should say is something like this (but of course any journo would
be told not to say all this because it doesn't make the situation look
hyped-up enough):

 - a train may proceed through a red *automatic* signal (or a red
   *semi-automatic* signal when the white 'A' light is illuminated) after a
   minute if it fitted with a train-stop, or after contacting the signaller
   to receive instructions if no train-stop is fitted.

 - a train may proceed through a red *controlled* signal only on the
   authority of the signaller if no subsidiary signals are fitted or it's not
   possible to clear a calling-on indication on that signal.

 - a train may proceed through a red signal (either controlled or automatic)
   on the authority of a small green low-speed signal (if fitted) and run
   through the section to the next signal, or on the authority of a small
   steady yellow calling-on signal (if fitted) and be prepared to stop short
   of any obstruction, or on the authority of a small flashing yellow
   shunt-ahead signal (if fitted) and run as far as the shunting limit board
   (for shunting purposes only - unlike what a certain CityRail duty manager
   thinks).

Note that I have summarised the rules a lot here, and they should *not* be
taken as gospel without reference to the NSW safeworking manuals which
contain the relevant safeworking units (referred to as SWU's) for the type
of section in which a train is travelling

>In 1995 49 trains ignored stop signs, 67 in 1996, 61 in 1997, 73 in 1998 and
>97 last year.
>the figures were released in response to a request for rail incident
>statistics from the State Opposition."

I wish the people that write these articles would get their terminology
correct, and not make it sound as like there is nothing other than automatic
signals in the entire railway system in NSW, because that is a *gross*
mis-representation of the signalling infrastructure.

Regards,

Craig.

--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport