Re: Silly Pendennis Castle ideas

Thomas Johnson <tej22@**REMOVE*THIS*BIT**cam.ac.uk> wrote in message
87bs13$vr$1@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk">news:87bs13$vr$1@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk...

> Bill McNiven wrote in message ...
> >chris@enet21.com.au wrote in message <38994433.5C1B1E4A@enet21.com.au>...
> >>I know this will start a long debate again, By why doesn't the RTM grab
> >Pendennis
> >>Castle, its ideal for main line running and much cheaper to restore an
> >maintain than the
> >>57 or probably the 35. I bet sponsors would like it too.
> >>After a week of letter writing to virtually every politican and major
> union
> >in the
> >>country I reckon  Rio will give it away to any non-profit or public
> >standard gauge
> >>museum in Australia.
> >>Letters of reply are starting to flow in, and they are not favourable to
> >Rio Tinto.
> >

> >But the RTM already has a large collection 4-6-0s awaiting repairs: 3001,
> >3203, 3214 (for which there was a half-hearted restoration appeal in the
> >early 1980s), 3526 (for which there was a restoration appeal late 1998,
> with
> >no action visible since), 3609, 3616 and 3642 (which retired very quietly
> >some time in the last few years).
> >
> >Surely, if we armchair experts are looking for a main-line home for a GWR
> >locomotive in Australia, we should speculate about:
> >Hotham Valley -- beautiful SG line to Kalgoorlie and beyond and not a
> single
> >SG steam loco
> >SteamRanger in SA -- beautiful SG line from Adelaide to Mt. Barker Jct.
and
> >not a single SG steam loco
> >West Coast Railway -- the name goes with Great Western Railway and an
> >oil-fired blue 'Castle' would be a change
> >Dorrigo -- it would make up for the fact that the greedy RTM has three
36's
> >while Dorrigo didn't get any
> >QR -- they do a pretty good job of restoring and operating 3'6" gauge
> steam.
> >With a Uniform Gauge steam loco, they could let Sunsteam run to Kyogle
and
> >maybe put steam on the GSPE.
> >
> >All of this of course ignores the facts that Rio Tinto own the machine
and
> >are free to do as they wish with their property -- keep it, scrap it,
give
> >it away -- and that 4079, as a participant with Flying Scotsman (then
IIRC)
> >GNR 1452 in the 1924 Locomotive Exchanges, is a key part of British
Railway
> >history.
> >
> >Rgds <g,r,d>
> >
> >Bill :)
> >

> According to this months Railway Magazine:
>
> "The Australian quarrying company Hamersley Iron has generously decided to
> make a gift of 'Castle' class 4-6-0 Pendennis Castle to the Great Western
> Society
> . . . . . . . . .
> the society has to find the shipping costs of GBP125,000. That's the
'going
> rate' the P&O line has quoted for bringing the loco half way round the
world
> from the Indian Ocean port of Dampier."

The Great Western Society has launched an appeal to raise the shipping
costs. ISTR that they think that they need GBP 80,000. Is it too much to
hope that a shipping company will provide an "assisted passage", i.e.
shipping at cost or less?

--
Alan Macro
Campaigning for better passenger rail safety -