Re: Goodbye Overland

> I really don't see why it would be so impractical/expensive to build
a SG
> link to North Terrace. Adding a 3rd track to the existing lines into
8 & 9
> would be very simple and would only cost about $1 million. The
existing
> platform (island finger) could easily accommodate a XPT style train.
> Besides, to extend it by ~100m would also be quite simple and cheap,
no more
> than $1 million, including the minor necessary track realignments. If
anyone
> has a problem with long trains crossing all the other tracks, 2 short
> underpasses (1 from Nth, 1 from Sth) could be built near the goal
loop for a
> modest sum. There is plenty of room west of the bridge for a motorail
> facility. For car maintenance, trains could be towed over to Keswick
in
> about 10 minutes.
> Whats that? $10 million at the most. Chicken feed.
> So much for Aunty Di's $20 million estimate (or whatever it was).
>
> Lachlan Smith
> ADELAIDE
> Nothing the Government does surprises me.

Recent news(Quote from "Catch point"), SA stae govenment and GSR will
develop Keswick into a intermodal long distance Bus/train terminal,
with TransAdelaide's DMU serving Keswick "Terminal"(Not Suburban
platform!)

Both parties rekon Keswick have the potential to capture passenger as
its close proximate to some schools, offices, and sports facilities
plus easier operation, closer to GSR's maintanence depot.

It would be OK for Ghan or Indian Pacific but as for Overland which
need more patrons to justify its existence will still need North
Terrence.

--
Cheers

James