Re: Goodbye Overland

Maurie Daly wrote:

> It doesnt have to be an XPT service , just has to be fast enuf to get the
> infrastructure utilization up a bit.,ie a return trip by the train per
> day.
> Even something like SG sprinters or Explorers would do,7 cars on Fridays
> and Weekends and less during the week.

As much as I hate to say it, the service needs a gimmick to get it into
the public mind again. It's kind of hard to market a loco-hauled service
unless it's a luxury one not basing its appeal on speed. The XPT
captured people's imaginations and got the public mind back on rail,
much as the Tilt Train is doing now in Queensland. I don't disagree that
it's more expensive but from the lay-traveller's point of view, there
needs to be a fresh alternative that's more exciting than a bus on
rails.

Dion