Re: QR and Photographers

pdwyer <pdwyerNOpdSPAM@ecn.net.au.invalid> wrote in article
<022dacf6.e72d1707@usw-ex0102-013.remarq.com>...
> In article <LHXj4.12116$3b6.54122@ozemail.com.au>, "Barry Campbell"
> <campblbm@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> > More exactly *can't* harass you. Taking photographs is not illegal
> > generally under the Qld Criminal Code and I doubt if it gets a
> > mention under the Transport Infrastructure  or any other act in that
> > area. If you are on the platform legally you can take photos.
>
>   Barry,
>         Kevin's crime was to be fifteen years old. He was stopped by a
> member of the railway squad, a Queensland Police Detatchment, not a
> general security bod.

Right. I'm 17, so a cop has every right to hassle me because I'm probably
taking drugs or involved in underage sex or vandalism or something.
Look at the statistics for crime in Australia and see just how much is
commited by teens.

> It appears he was searched on suspicion of vandalism, a crime.

This suspicion had no base. A person had a camera. A camera is a common
item. /he had nothing with which to vandalise. The police were in the
wrong, and if they had taken it further they could have been dismissed.

>  It would've only occurred due to Kevins age, and most probably the
> fact that his bag would've been large enough to conceal several spray
> cans.

Police may legally search bags and people for knives and guns. But (correct
me if im wrong) not spray cans without a warrant.

>  If Kevin had been fifty to sixty and doing the same thing, the cop
> wouldn't blinked.

That shows how severe police bias is.

>  The policeman was doing his job, and Kevin fit a profile. He was
> searched and dismissed, and although it seems a little harsh, I'd
> prefer the cops to be looking out for and locating vandals.

It is very harsh. I'd prefer to be able to walk the streets without being
arrested and having my civil rights breahed, and Kevin has those same
rights. We already have enough of them breached, such as "gang" break up in
public places, "loitering" complaints etc.

> The initial incident would probably still have occurred had Kevin had
> consent to take photgraphs. I don't believe the Railway Squad stop to
> chat with the SM in their daily duties.

Depends on wheter the SM pointed out Kevin to the cops.

Brendan

> * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion
Network *