Re: SLR - tram or light rail?

chris@enet21.com.au wrote:

> What is the difference? They call themselves Sydney Light Rail but on
> the stations around  Darling Harbour they have large "tram stop"
> banners.

Well, the vehicles themselves are standard European low-floor
articulated trams, able to run on streets or private rights of way. The
particular model used is the Adtranz Variotram which was first
introduced in Chemnitz maybe five years ago. It is very similar to other
modern European trams such as the Combino which I understand Melbourne
is getting a batch of.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand