Re: SLR - tram or light rail?

<chris@enet21.com.au> wrote in message
38936492.E9FCBC79@enet21.com.au">news:38936492.E9FCBC79@enet21.com.au...
> Hi
>
> What is the difference? They call themselves Sydney Light Rail but on
> the stations around  Darling Harbour they have large "tram stop"
> banners. (I suppose "light rail stop" would be confusing to the public
> and not fit on the banner). Or don't they know themselves.
>
> Regards
>
> Chris

I think we had this discussion some time ago, amongst the distinction
between heavy and light rail.  In European and Australian parlance, light
rail vehicles (LRVs) are referred to as trams.  In the USA they're referred
to usually as trains, although the older term of trolley and streetcar is
sometimes used.

BTW, it isn't SLR any more.  It's Metro Light Rail, although I don't think
it's abbreviated to MLR on any signage.

Regards

David Bennetts
Canberra