Re: wheres the atn train

atailby@optusnet.com.au (Andrew Tailby) wrote in
<3a4dfbbf$0$7492$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>:

<snip>

I have seen virtually tens of thousands of photos on the net. None of them
have come from binaries newsgroups. All of them have come from webpages. A
lot of them have come from a web server without a webpage, where the files
have been uploaded and have direct access (e.g. www.gunzel.net/scans)

Webpages aren't hard to make, and to dump a file into a webserver that
allows directory listing (most do) is even easier. Much to the point that
I've even found posting binaries in the past more cumbersome.

I personally wouldn't feel rewarded if I posted a binary to a group only to
have it stripped by about 40% of the worlds news servers immediately, and
over 95% of the worlds news servers within a week. If I post an image to my
website, I can give the URL to a non-binary newsgroup, where article
retention is far longer on most news servers. This also gives people who
don't use newsgroups (I'd say that most people who use the net don't even
know what a newsgroup is, let alone how to access them) an opportunity to
view the image.

THEN there is behind the scenes... Sysadmins hate binaries. Binary
newsgroups are a waste of bandwidth to most sysadmins.

Please don't take this with offence Andrew, but this message is aimed also
to all who view and post to binaries newsgroups.

Michael

--
To email me, just remove ".spam" or else your reply gets directed to the
bit bucket.

Whip ME, Beat ME. "Windows ME".