Re: NSW State Rail devolution

On Sat, 30 Dec 2000 15:59:19 +1100, "Chris Reardon"
<reardo@northnet.com.au> wrote:

>I'm wondering if anyone can let me know a bit about why the state government
>decided to break apart State Rail in the way it did in the late 80's or
>whenever it was. Was this break up of the different services really needed?
>and if so what were the justifcations for doing doing it?
>
>Chris

There was, as I recall, a report commissioned by the government in the
early 90s on how improvements in the quality of rail transportation
could be made.  The recommendation was to let the competitive forces
loose through disaggregation of the vertical railway into its
component parts and introducing competition in each part.

It just has not happened.  When you put the politicians in charge and
leave the practitioners on the sideline, messes generally result.  NSW
is suffering from the Law of Unintended Consequences.

In this context I'm reminded of the book Stephen Bright wrote for
Vince O'Rourke at QR, "The Line Ahead".  Bright and I had a very
interesting discussion over breakfast in Melbourne one time about how
every firm ought to have a book written like The Line Ahead.  It's of
some comfort to know where you are going before you get there.  In
general, the Australian railways seem to have no clue.

State Rail has been a net consumer of hope and confidence for a long
time.  Things are unlikely to change until the pols decide to bring in
some pros and leave 'em alone to get the job done.  Interestingly
enough, the UK has taken a similar approach to the railways and seems
to be seeing similar results.

I note a bill outlining the New South Wales Government's  proposed
overhaul of the state's rail industry has been introduced into State
Parliament. The Rail Access Corporation and Rail Services Australia
would be  merged into the Rail Infrastructure Corporation.  See
http://www.abc.net.au/news/regionals/goulburn/monthly/regwod-16nov2000-5.htm