Re: Steam design challenge 2000

 > While the book has its shortfalls (fancy including Vic S class or SA 500
> class but not 38 class!!) each improvement set me to thinking how would we
> design a (reasonably conventional) steam loco today knowing now what we
know
> about design.
>
> So, here's the challenge. What design features should we include which
> satisfy the following restrictions? We're not after exact dimensions or
> measurements, and the fundamental rule is that every inclusion must be
fully
> justified.

Back in the 80's (when I was young, stupid, and my parents paid for
everything!) there was a weekly magazine that I got called "Insight", which
reported on different aspects of technology, and how they affected our
lives.   One article in particular dealt with the design of a proposed
modern steam locomotive.  It has been years since I read the article, and
all the magazines are still at Mum's house (1500k away!), but I do recall
that it was "condensing steam" - all the water was in a sealed system, and
recycled.  The artists' impression was impressive (aren't they all!)  The
top half of the loco looked just like a conventional US Safety Cab loco (F45
style), but the running gear was a dead giveaway, with high and low pressure
cylinders, and linkages that wouldn't look out of place on a conventional
steam loco.  It may not have ever been built, but it sure got my attention!

John McCandless
Cloncurry Qld Au