Re: Free trams cut in peak period

Daniel Bowen <dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au> wrote in message
GUh%5.22842$xW4.176985@news-server.bigpond.net.au">news:GUh%5.22842$xW4.176985@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

> "David McLoughlin" <davemcl@NO***damned***SPAMiprolink.co.nz> wrote in
> message 3a3d934b@news.iprolink.co.nz">news:3a3d934b@news.iprolink.co.nz...
> > When are the Ws coming back? Getting the City Circle ones back on should
> > have been the first priority.
>
> No news, though Peter Batchelor seemed to think April.

CC was meant to be back by Christmas! (I think 2002 maybe) I still don't see
anything wrong with the current braking system.

> > I can't even see why they bother running new trams on the City Circle.
> > The whole point of that line was that it was a special tourist service
> > using distinctively painted Ws.
>
> I reckon every 20 minutes is a token effort, just so the tourists don't go
> away disappointed that they didn't get a free tram ride around the CBD.

Its good that they have conductors on each CC tram at the moment. The reason
that 20 minutes (4 trams) is that they supposedly don't have enough trams to
run a full timetable and the 10 minute CC service (8 trams). Yet they can
afford to have 4 trams sitting in Preston depot being repainted! Why can't
they do a 10 min service on weekends when the number of trams in use is
greatly reduced?? This would at least be when most families, residents and
their visitors would head into the city...

cheers
Johann