Re: [SA] Renmark

"Michael" <usenet.spam@gunzel.net> wrote in message
news:9006D6A85gunzelT333@203.164.20.149...
> Hi All,
>
> Just come across an interesting map in my "Vicroads" while looking through
> the towns on the SA side of the border. Of interest was a "Railway
Terrace"
> in Renmark. Was there ever a line to or through Renmark, and when was it
> opened and closed?
>
> It's mainly of interest because I spent a few years growing up in that
> region (Berri) and never even knew a railway existed there before.
>
> Michael.
>
> --
> To email me, just remove ".spam" or else your reply gets directed to the
> bit bucket.
>
> Whip ME, Beat ME. "Windows ME".

A railway ran from south of Loxton east to almost the Victorian border then
north to Paringa where it crossed the Murray River.  From Renmark the
railway went to Berri and ended at Barmera.  I think it served most of the
fruit co-operatives in the area.  If I can recall right the section beyond
Paringa was closed and ripped up in one of the infamous Australian Nation
purges on branch lines in the name of economic rationalism some time before
the mid eighties.  I went through the area in 1987 and there was very little
obvious evidence of the railway beyond Paringa.  At that time the railway
still served the big wheat silos at Paringa.  (As an aside, another railway
still served the silos at Waikere - but I think the service had been
suspended by then). The section back to the Loxton line was closed and
ripped up in another laterAustralian National purge on South Australain
branch lines which also included the closure of the remaining section of the
former Waikere Line.

When one thinks of the enormous agricultural output of the area it is a real
shame that the railway was removed.