Re: Australian railway songs

On Tue, 05 Dec 2000 02:51:35 GMT, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote:

>I think this has been discussed before, but I can't find the thread in the
>archives or on deja.com.
>
>Has anybody made a canonical list of Australian railway songs? Off the top
>of my head I can think of:

There was a compilation of Australian railway songs, prose and poetry produced about 10 years ago.
The name of the album is 'Sleepers and Rails', produced by Matthews Music Pty Ltd,  but has been
unfortunately since deleted from the HMV catalogue.

Tracks on the album include, those marked * are songs -
Indian Pacific* (J Haynes),
The Roaring Days (R Hannah/J Haynes) ,
 Eight Bob A Day (B Bill & Co),
 Navvy On The Line* (J Haynes/R Hannah/J Dengate/G Petersen),
The Sandy Hollow Line* (K Baker),
The Strike of 1917 (R Hannah/J Haynes) ,
Janet Okeden* (J Small),
The Guard and the Canary (R Hannah/J Haynes),
On the Queensland Railway Lines* (R Ilott/P Davies),
Please Refrain* (J Haynes/R Hannah/J Dengate) ,
Sgt Small* (T Morton),
Upper or Lower (J Haynes/R Hannah),
The Great Triple R* (J Haynes),
Perhaps I'm Sentimental (J Haynes),
Leaving Nancy* (E Bogle),
Roll and Sway* (J Broomhall) ,
Battler's Ballad* (A Scott),
Second Class Wait Here( J Haynes),
Train Trip To Guildford* (J Dengate),
Back To Alice On The Ghan* (T Egan),
The Social Club on Wheels* ( J Small),
Silver City Comet* (J Broomhall),
The Bus To Broken Hill (J Dengate),
Sleepers and Rails* (J Haynes).

Its a great album.

Peter and Susan

Peter & Susan Cokley
petan @ powerup.com.au
http://www.welcome.to/petan
For personal replies to this message, remove NOSPAM from our address to avoid bounced mail.