Re: Bairnsdale train users meet with Minister

 On Sun, 26 Nov 2000 22:59:42 GMT, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David
Bromage) wrote:

Bairnsdale residents will know in two weeks if their V/Line passenger
train service will be re-introduced. The Save our Train Action group met
with Transport Minister Peter Batchelor in Melbourne yesterday.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/regionals/gippsland/monthly/reggip-24nov2000-5.ht

ABC news actually got this report wrong. I am a member of the Bairnsdale
Save Our Train Action Group, although I didn't go to the meeting I spoke to
one of our representatives who did. Peter Batchelor will make an
announcement on the actual progress of the process of returning the train to
Bairnsdale. NOT an announcement on the actual return of the service. We have
been told that the train might not return until soon before the next state
election so it can be used as a vote winner for Craig Ingram (Member for
Gippsland East). The ALP knows that they themselves will never win the seat
of East Gippsland so they want to keep Craig Ingram in office.

Nicholas J. Hurley
Bairnsdale VIC