Re: Australian railway songs

David Bromage wrote:

> David McLoughlin (davemcl@NO***damned***SPAMiprolink.co.nz) wrote:
> > David Bromage wrote:
>
> > > Morningtown Ride, by The Seekers.
>
> > Which line, where, were they singing about? There was a line to the
> > Mornington peninsula in Melbourne but the spelling is different. I have
> > wondered from time to time if the song was about a real place.
>
> The Seekers formed in Melbourne, but the song isn't about a real place.
> It may have been inspired by Mornington.

I wondered that. After I shifted over here to World's End, a number of
people claimed, fatuously, it was named after Mornington in Dunedin...

... Which never had a train service to the suburb of Mornington, though
it had a real, live, San Francisco and Melbourne style cable tram to
Mornington until 1957, 16 years after Melbourne's last cable line
closed.

New Zealanders are such losers they didn't even realise in 1957 what an
attraction a genuine cable tram line was... despite it being several
years after San Francisco woke up.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand