[VIC] 4471 & GM10 head out west.

Today I chased the GNR ballast train from Geelong to just out of Ararat.
>From Melbourne to Ararat, the locos & consist were 4471 - GM10 - 13xGHMF
ballast hoppers. Both locos had the No 2 end facing Ararat. I first
photographed the train about half way between Geelong and Moorabool at
1108. As the train seemed to be maintaining about 90 - 95km/h fairly
easily, we only just caught up with it at Derinallum in time for a quick
"jump out of the car" shot. As I wasn't able to set up my video camera,
I don't have the time for this location. We then made it to Ararat
before the train. It passed the last crossing before the station at
1351. After this we got a shot of it with GM10 leading at the site of
the former Warrin-Yadin station on the Ararat - Maryborough line at
1540.

The Loram rail grinder was in the yard at Maroona. An up GSR pass passed
Maroona at about 1720 with an NR leading. This must be the Overland even
though most of the carriages were from the Indian Pacific! I'll have the
number of the NR when I get my photos processed, which should be by the
end of the week.

As for those who thought 4471 was painted in the candy livery, there is
one candy panel under the right hand side window of the number 2 end. I
guess this means you were partly right! :-)

Here are two image captures from my MiniDV video. These are only
temporary and will be removed within a few weeks.

4471 and GM10 arrive at Ararat. Note the candy panel on the No2 end:
http://www.railpage.org.au/vr/temp/4471_gm10_ararat.jpg

GM10 and 4471 pass the site of Warrin-Yadin station:
http://www.railpage.org.au/vr/temp/gm10_4471_warra-yadin.jpg

Note: These images are copyright and must not be used for anything other
than personal non-profit use without my permission.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au