Re: [Vic] Webb Dock railway line

James C. <james_ccj@my-deja.com> wrote in message
90apa1$2ns$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:90apa1$2ns$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> I took a drive along Webb Dock this evening. Noticed
> 70% of the rail alignment/formation still pertty much
> in place. The Spencer Street end however due to
> Dockland developments and Colonial stadium, most of
> the alignments were gone. Between Dockland and
> Citylink bridge along  Lorimer Street the ballast
> still in place. Somewhat resemble Maribyrnong siding.
> Does GM Holden ever had railway access to its plant at
> Fishermen Bend?

As I mentioned in another post, I used to work in said Holden plant.  As far
as I know, there was no rail access into the plant, nor are there signs of
any old tracks in the place.  Most of the stuff that's produced there now is
for export, so I presume it goes straight across Lorimer Street and onto
ships.  The Australian used stuff (for Toyota and Commodores) all goes onto
trucks and sent either to Avalon or Adelaide.

If they did have rail, I would guess it would have been when they were still
assembling cars on the site.  Makes sense, they haven't done any vehicle
manufacturing there for quite a few years, when (I dare say) that railing
the cars around the country made more sense than trucking (ie no freeways
etc).  That area would be under the Portside business park, next time you're
there have a close look around there.

But to make sure, I've gotta go see my old boss sometime in the next couple
of months, I'll ask him.