Re: 8.00am Newcastle - Sydney

There are more stops and more recovery time in the current table (as there
has been since Jan '92).  In the late 80s early 90s down expresses (every
hour) we're 'tabled at 2h 17m down and 2h 19m up.  Very achievable from my
regular travels on the services back then.  Stops were:
Sydney
Strathfield
Hornsby
Woy Woy
Gosford
Wyong
Morrisset
Fassifern
Broadmeadow
Hamilton
Newcastle.

Now you have to add:
Epping
Tuggerah
Warnervale (weekdays)
Wyee
Cardiff
Civic.

Bring on the realignment!

Chris

<trainman@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> >Neil Crellin wrote:
> >
> >> The 8.00am service Newcastle Sydney has the fewest stops of the
> >> contemporary timetable but is still 7 minutes slower than the best
> >> regular steam time of 2 hr 14 min. Even allowing for more stops with
the
> >> electric service, you would think that the superior accelleration and
> >> hill climbing ability of current electric stock would far outweigh the
> >> non-stop nature of the 38 class timetable. Anyone got any thoughts on
> >> this?
> >
> >Speedo?
> >

> >--
> >David Johnson
> >trainman@ozemail.com.au
> >http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/
> >------------------------------------
> >These comments are made in a private
> >capacity and do not represent the
> >official view of State Rail.
> >C.O.W.S. Page 11.
>
> So I assume NSW steamers didn't have a speedo. Apart from 3801's
occasional visits to QLD, I don't
> get much to check for myself.
>
> Isn't there a present day speed restriction due to some coal mine with a
"long wall" tunnel under
> the tracks?
>
> Cheers
> Peter

> Peter & Susan Cokley
> petan @ powerup.com.au
> http://www.welcome.to/petan
> For personal replies to this message, remove NOSPAM from our address to
avoid bounced mail.