off peak goulburn return

Weekdays a Goulburn train leaves Sydney Central at 8.57am just outside
the 9.00am start of off-peak returns. However, if you buy a peak return
to Glenfield, catch the 8.40am Campbelltown service arriving Glenfield
9.14am, you have 13 minutes to buy a Glenfield - Goulburn off peak
return.  Goulburn train leaves Glenfield at 9.27am. This saves $17 off
the full return Goulburn fare of $48 and is only $3 dearer than the off
peak fare of $28. Is this necessary or do CityRail stretch the off peak
area by three minutes for this train?
As a Queenslander, I would also like to know what exactly a city hopper
fare entails as I can't find full information on the CityRail site