Re: Future of Queensland Rail looks bleak, says Beattie

The original post by David Bromage said that the "Federal Government
refused to let organisation tender for interstate contracts".  I take
this  as meaning that QR has been banned from tendering for interstate
traffic - something which FreightCorp has been permitted to do in both
SA and QLD.

If the post actually meant that QR wasn't permitted to tender for the
privatisation of NR or FreightCorp then I am in agreement - one
Government railway shouldn't be permitted to buy out another. On the
other hand, if this really means what it appeared to say, ie. that QR
was not being permitted to tender for an interstate contract (for some
traffic on offer), then there is a clear double standard as Government
owned FreightCorp and NR both operate in multiple states already,
furthermore FreightCorp has already been permitted to submit a tender
for AND WIN a contract in QR's own territory.  (Incidentally, ignoring
$billions worth of infrastructure investment by deciding to run diesels
under the wires, as well as operating over someone else's already paid
for upgrade to a very high standard of mainline indeed).

I'm not sure if we've been talking about the same thing - specifically,
is QR being banned from buying out interstate operators, or is QR being
banned from operating interstate.

cheers,
Colin