Re: Future of Queensland Rail looks bleak, says Beattie

In article <csOo5.83$sL.9222@news0.optus.net.au>,
  dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote:
> Future of Queensland Rail looks bleak, says Beattie
>    BRISBANE, Aug 23 AAP - The future of Queensland Rail appeared
> bleak today after the federal government refused to let the
> organisation tender for interstate contracts.

What an amazing double standard!  When FreightCorp, owned by the NSW
Government, tenders for QLD and SA coal haulage that is permitted, but
when QLD Government owned QR tries to compete interstate it is
disallowed!  Does this mean that there's one rule for NSW Government
Owned Corporations & a different rule for QLD ones - remembering that
Fahey is from NSW of course.

The criteria for permitting or disallowing interstate competition for QR
should be network access in QLD, NOT Government ownership.  If it can be
demonstrated that QR has a fair 3rd party access regime, they should
then be free to spread interstate.  I think the fact that FreightCorp
have been able to win a coal haulage contract in Central QLD should
demonstrate that QR's access regime is improving, if not yet perfect.

Yet another reason to vote against this Government.

--Colin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.