Re: Memory is so tricky!

"Geoff Lambert" <G.Lambert@unsw.edu.au> wrote in message
39a246f0.11532858@nntp.unsw.edu.au">news:39a246f0.11532858@nntp.unsw.edu.au...
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 17:38:22 +1000, "tony bailey"
> <mercuryworldtvl@one.net.au> wrote:
>
> >On ABC Local Radio this morning in Sydney, whilst they were running "One
> >Hundred Days - One Hundred Stories" - which is about people's memories of
> >other Olympic Games - usually Melbourne in 1956 - a woman gave a
fascinating
> >example of how trick the human memory can be - those interested in Oral
> >History should find this fascinating.
> >
> >The woman recounted going to the Melbourne Games - she started from
> >somewhere up the Armidale end of the Northern Tablelands and produced a
> >couple of classic statements -
> >
> >1) We travelled by train, first to Sydney - a 16 hour journey with a
> >breakfast stop at Willow Tree (!) (followed with a rant on about the
> >waitresses uniforms.)
> >
> >2) We arrived in Sydney in the afternoon and took the Southern Aurora on
> >Melbourne!
> >

> Hearing is tricky too. I heard her say they arrived in Sydney in the
> MORNING and took the Southern Aurora to Melbourne. Was the Daylight
> running in 1956?, I think it was, with a train change at Albury, of
> course.
>
> Geoff Lambert

Caught the Daylight to Melbourne in the May school holidays, 1956.
Memories...ah gee I was only 12 at the time, years that is, still in short
pants. The Daylight only ran on alternate days (only one set of cars) left
Sydney about 8:00am changed at Albury about 5:00pm and arrived Spencer St
about 9:30pm,  I can't remember the exact times.  NSW used open saloons
while Victoria used side corridor compartments. My mother, a war widow,
expected the Vic carriages to be wider, wider track gauge, my first lesson
in loading gauge V track gauge. Remember the loco being changed, possibly at
Junee, diesels, I was only interested in steam locos and didn't pay any
attention to diesel classes.  Stayed the week at a pub on Latrobe St, near
the corner of Elizabeth St, the Duke of Kent. We travelled down on Friday
returning the following Saturday.  I was riding down Elizabeth St, in a Z
from West Coburg, a couple of months back and lo there was the same pub and
still in business.

When was the Daylight service changed to daily running?

Ted