Memory is so tricky!

On ABC Local Radio this morning in Sydney, whilst they were running "One
Hundred Days - One Hundred Stories" - which is about people's memories of
other Olympic Games - usually Melbourne in 1956 - a woman gave a fascinating
example of how trick the human memory can be - those interested in Oral
History should find this fascinating.

The woman recounted going to the Melbourne Games - she started from
somewhere up the Armidale end of the Northern Tablelands and produced a
couple of classic statements -

1) We travelled by train, first to Sydney - a 16 hour journey with a
breakfast stop at Willow Tree (!) (followed with a rant on about the
waitresses uniforms.)

2) We arrived in Sydney in the afternoon and took the Southern Aurora on to
Melbourne!

I am not going to award a prize for the most number of mistakes found in the
above statements!

Tony Bailey