Re: Any news on the Mildura Passenger Line?

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 08:33:30 GMT, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David
Bromage) wrote:

>Steve (hursteau@yahoo.com) wrote:
>> > IIRC, one of the option for Mildura service return is a 3 times weekly
>> > night Sprinter service. Imaging sitting in Sprinter for at least 7
>> > hours in a smaller legroom, smaller seats and not so smooth ride
>> > OVERNIGHT!! What people of Mildura and towns along the line need is a
>> > daily service not just a few times weekly.
>
>> For starters, I would prefer a sprinter to a bus any day!
>
>I hope they reopen the refresh rooms along the way. :)

Oh good. Can we reintroduce livestock specials to Mansfield too?

>>  ALSO When the
>> Bairnsdale report was released, NX said something to the effect that
>> Sprinters are not suited to long distance running, and that the Sale N+N set
>> would just be extended.  Now whether this is a cop out so that they can save
>> on running 2 trains or whatever, it seems to make sense.
>
>It's not a cop out. The pass sits at Sale for 3 hours anyway. This idle
>time is the tiem it used to take to go on to Bairnsdale.

It would make more sense to use the pass that sits around at Sale, I
mean, this train is just a truncated version of the "Gippslander" that
went all the way to Bairnsdale anyway. What is a bit dodgy is trying
to extend the Ballarat pass to Mildura - an extra 400kms up the track.

Les Brown