Re: 40 Million (for NSW track improvements)

"Railway Rasputin3" <james_ccj@my-deja.com> wrote in message
8nn9js$14q$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8nn9js$14q$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <399f07c5@newshost.pcug.org.au>,
>   "David Bennetts" <davibenn@pcug.org.au> wrote:
> >
> > "Me & her" <mick123@ihug.com.au> wrote in message
> > 399EF565.D1A4B6F5@ihug.com.au">news:399EF565.D1A4B6F5@ihug.com.au...
> > >
> > > And how far will that go, since we found out we got the games , the
> > > infrastructure of the railway has been neglected.
> > >

> > > So I ask how far will it go.
> > >

> > > Mick
> >
> > If you're wondering what on earth this is all about (as I was), refer
> to the
> > article in today's Herald site - it relates to an announcement by the
> NSW
> > Transport Minister about improvements to track which will allow
> Countrylink
> > services to travel a little faster more safely, particularly between
> Moss
> > Vale and Goulburn.  The $40 million mightn't be a huge amount, but
> > anything's better than nothing.
> > http://www.smh.com.au/news/0008/20/sunday/news1.html
> >
> > Regards
> > David Bennetts
> Would this allow travel time reduction? (maybe too much hope)

Yes, it would result in a substantial time reduction if all the existing
speed restrictions are lifted.

It is about time someone "forced" RAC into spending their record profits on
what is "essential" track maintainance. Placing "temporary" speed
restrictions for extended periods of time is unacceptable.

Motorists wouldn't accept a huge pothole in a major road to remain for a
year. However, RAC wouldn't agree. They would just put a speed restriction
on it!

IMHO, ALL of RAC's profit should be allocated towards lifting ALL speed
restrictions on their network. It is unacceptable that operators are paying
substantial track access charges, and yet cannot provide their customers
with acceptable service or safety levels owing to defective track
conditions.

Whilst I accept RAC have a responsibility to their shareholders (NSW govt)
to provide a profit, they also have a responsibility to their customers
(rail operators)  to provide an acceptable minimum level of service. In this
aspect they are failing. I would have thought at least some lessons were
learnt from Granville....

Russ.