Re: [General] Stopping at signals - simple question

--
Tezza
"Kevin Lyons" <klyons@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message
399fac06$1@news.iprimus.com.au">news:399fac06$1@news.iprimus.com.au...

> Michael McDonald <michael.and.colleen.mcdonald@xtra.co.nz> wrote in
message
> .
> >
> > As an aside, you can get the whole train under compression by having the
> > loco braking more than the wagons (vice versa for tension).  Because of
> the
> > delay in the air line, I would expect the whole train to be in
compression
> > before all brakes come on fully.
> >
>  snip
>
> With a 7500 t train I wouldn't try having the loco brakes come on except
in
> an emergency. As you state , the loco brakes are more effective than the
> train brakes so allowing them to come on will result in the 7500 t train
> running up the back of the loco. You would only do that once.
> If you want the whole train under compression use dynamic.

Big no no. Loco brakes are immediately released each time air is taken from
the brake pipe.

Loco brakes are actually shitty which is why they were always restricted to
80kmh in the Sydney metrop, but with one truck on could go at
loco/truck/track speed (until recently).