Re: [NSW] State Rail vs State Transit

Hubert Lam wrote:

> On the side note, why is it that every time new trains are built, they have
> to modify the body?

To fit improvements.  On K/C/T/G sets, the pantograph was placed on the trailer
cars due to the extra room needed in the roof for ventilation.  T/G sets have
much larger windows.  Most passengers like this.

> In many other places, new rolling stock is purchased so that the entire
> fleet is uniform,

Name some.   Melbourne? No.  Brisbane? No.  Adelaide? No.  Tokyo? No.  London?
No.   Perth?  Yes, but they only have one generation of train so far.

> somewhat unlike CityRail, with the Comeng S set designs,
> then the K set (flat front), C set (fibreglass front?!? what is that stuff
> anyway?),

Um, fibreglass?  Duh.

> and then you have the Tangaras. Now with the Millennium not so far
> away, another complete body overhaul is expected (and a lot of yellow as
> well!).
>
> Personally, and maybe some others wouldn't mind the body and interior
> looking a little outdated (e.g. K/C set), but I think it would be much
> better if they stuck with one design

Why not order more 1926 style carriages?   You don't seem to like any
improvements!

> (and perhaps just order more T sets
> instead of new contracts)

Goninan did tender for the contract, but they didn't get it.  You can't just
bypass the tendering process.

> But of course this rail system is run by politics and beaureaucrats, not so
> much like private businesses.

If you say so.

--
David Johnson