Re: [General] Signal failures

Tony Gatt wrote:

> Sam Eades <eadess@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> 399B3A20.CD6D392C@yahoo.com">news:399B3A20.CD6D392C@yahoo.com...
> > I have been working at Thomastown station (on the single line between Keon
> Park
> > and Lalor on the Epping line) when all Automatic signals between Lalaor
> and Keon
> > Park have failed. This has required the driver to stop at each automatic
> signal
> > (they are only about a train length apart) for 30 secs, then proceed with
> > caution to the next. It has added about 15 to 20 mins to the journey time.
>
> Yes, and by observing the rules correctly, he made it to his destination
> without incident :)

I'm not saying that he shouldn't have done what he did, I think that he was
totally in the right. I'm just commenting on how 1 computer failing can cause 20
min+ delays for every train.

An idea I have for alleviating problems such as these is perhaps a switch on the
signal so the Automatic Signal can be "Switched Out". This switch would
extingush the signal lamps and lower the trip arm, as well as extending the
track circuit to the next fixed signal. So instead of having 2 short sections
with 1 defective and 1 operational signal, you have 1 long section with 1
operational signal. Could it work?

Sam