Re: [General] Signal failures

Ronald BESDANSKY wrote:

> If auto signals fail in a section which is not shown on signal box indicator
> boards, then surely the situation is no different to that which applies to
> manual block sections, i.e. the only way of knowing the whereabouts of
> trains is by visual observation of the trains as they pass various points.
> What I am suggesting is that the most appropriate thing to do in this
> situation is to introduce telephone (or radio) absolute block working, which
> would surely be preferable to each and every train having to proceed at
> "extreme caution" through the affected section(s). Of course, this assumes
> there are suitably qualified staff at the locations concerned.

Are you talking NSW or the whole of Australia? In Victoria, there is no
provision (AFAIK) for intermediate "Absolute Block" working as you are
suggesting, in the Rules and Operating Instructions. The only type of temporary
"Absolute Block" in Victoria is for track machines (one signal box to another)
and Single line (pilot) working. Therefore the only option is to "trip" past
every defective automaatic signal and proceed with caution to the next fixed
signal.
I have been working at Thomastown station (on the single line between Keon Park
and Lalor on the Epping line) when all Automatic signals between Lalaor and Keon
Park have failed. This has required the driver to stop at each automatic signal
(they are only about a train length apart) for 30 secs, then proceed with
caution to the next. It has added about 15 to 20 mins to the journey time.

Sam