"HXP1" <hxp1@dingoblue.gunzel.net.au> wrote:
>MattyQ <mattyq1009@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
>39950598$0$786$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:39950598$0$786$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
>> HXP1 <hxp1@dingoblue.gunzel.net.au> wrote in message
>
>> > Quite a while.  Allegedly.
>
>> QR Signal Electricians have had experimental LED level
>> crossing lights flashing outside their workshop at Mayne
>> for just on 2 years now. That's right, 2 years continuous
>> without being switched off (and they are still on to this
>> day). In that time, a total of 9 LED's have failed. There
>> are four lenses, three are LED the other is a globe. That
>> works out to 3 LED's blown per lens in 2 years. Considering
>> there would be about 3 or 4 hundred LED's per lens, that's
>> a pretty good failure rate.
>
>Hmmm, I make that 350,000 hrs of flashing life per LED.

We're banking on ten years per aspect. We've begun counting, so
we'll let them know in the next fifteen years or so. The units
we're putting in seem to be acclaimed by almost everyone.

>If we throw a dart at the dartboard and say each train move
takes an average
>of 60 seconds, that's 21 Million train moves.
>
>Nice.  Any idea whose LED's there are?  Safetran, Harmon, or
whoever else
>makes them?

I think the originals were Safetran, but I'm not sure. I'm off
for three weeks so I can't run down & check :) We have changed
type though. The original model was virtually nothing more than
a cover over the LED's. The newer ones (running for two years by
now I think) have that focussing plate as used in the Running
signal aspects.

What I would like are the super columates shunt lens's .. I had
one demonstrated for me at five metres at the product show at
the Crest. A Definite improvement on the standard 40W we use.

>> Funny thing is, because they are level crossing signals,
>> they have to be signed off by both QR and QT. I believe QR
>> have signed off but still waiting for QT to make a
>> decision.
>> TYPICAL!!!
>
><grins> I think we're lucky Vicroads just gives us the money...

I think we also have a problem with the drivers, not having the
side viewing ports, making it harder for them to see if the
crossing is active. I notive our BCC is trialling LED's at Roma
St, outside the bus terminal entrance, so maybe we're going to
see the DOT permit LED's.

Seeya!

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com