Re: Tangara Couplers

eikkert@my-deja.com wrote:

> I'vebeen looking around Paul turtle's page and have noticed quite a few
> Tangaras bearing standard auto couplers rather than the schanfenberg
> couplers. Is this the mooted emergency coupler? How does it work?

Yes, it is the emergency coupler.  On his page, you will see that they are being
used at Maintrain and Delec, where there is no overhead wiring, meaning they
need to be pushed/pulled around by a diesel locomotive or rail tractor.

It works by locking on to the scharfenberg coupler mechanically with the Brake
Pipe and Main Reservoir holes being covered and connected to hoses.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au