Re: Freight trains on the Northern Tablelands

Chris Reardon (creardon@metz.une.edu.au) wrote:
> I'm told (although I haven't seen it), that there is one freight train a
> week still running to Dumaresq station just out of Armidale to deliver
> fertilizer.

One a week? It was one every 3 weeks when I lived up there in 1996-98.

Always a pair of 48s. One week in early 98, both 48s failed at West
Tamworth just before the train was due to depart. FreightCorp was going to
put an 80 on it, but the inconsiderate fitters managed to get the 48s
going again. :)

My favourite working of the freight was when the empties were hauled from
Dumaresq to Armidale by 5910.

> This is pretty much the only one left using the line apart from
> the Xplorers running daily to Sydney. Does anyone have any info on this
> train (such as when it runs, and if it stops anywhere else between Tamworth
> and Dumaresq)?

Runs daily. The Moree portion is attached at Werris Creek. Stops between
Armidale and Tamworth are Uralla, Walcha Road and Kootingal.

See www.countrylink.nsw.gov.au

Cheers
David