Re: "Just in Time" management

On Sat, 29 Apr 2000 05:58:55 GMT, Chris Brownbill
<cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> wrote:

>Railways are not well placed to implement Just in Time because JIT requires
>frequent deliveries of small consignments whereas rail is better suited to
>larger shipments.

In 1970 at Mile End they must have been using a FIT (forever in Time)
system. There were job lots all round the floor with torn or missing
work sheets.

One of the off site engineers told me most lots had been there for
years, and it was unlikely they would get married up with anything. Real
1870s workshop practice.

Yet the purpose of my visit was the aluminium welding they were doing
which was the only shop in Australia to be doing so then. They were
making carriages for the IP (I think)

The other interesting object d'art in that workshop was the royal
carriage, a real piece of workmanship, often wondered what happened to
that.

Owen