Re: [NSW] Pippita

"Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> writes:

>"Hubert Lam" <hubert@imap4.com> wrote in message
>390953cc$0$27523@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:390953cc$0$27523@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
>> A few questions about this little known station on the access line to
>Olympic Park
>>
>> 1. What was this station used for?

>It was the end of electrification for the Abbattoirs branch. I believe it
>was used by workers at some companies near where the line crossed Parramatta
>Road.

The overhead wiring went all the way around Saleyards loop (on the northern
side of the freeway behind the Woodmasons Coldstores site). We had lots of
fun and games with electric loco hauled trains in the really hot summer days
because the contact wire had no catenery past there the turnout for the
brickworks loop had once been, and there were occasions where the contact
wire sagged down to the point of touching the roof of a loco..

The grade from where the brickworks turnout had been down into the first
'yard' was very steep (about 1:15) heading down from the freeway bridge and
was also highly curved as it did a sharp left away from the brickworks loop
embankment, then a sharp right, then a sharp left around the lawn at the
yard office and under a road bridge.

The grade from the final (third) sub-yard on the loop was about 1:30 and the
track started at right angles to the entry track (since it was a loop that
ended at the back of the coldstores site), and did a hard right to join up
with where the exit track from the brickworks loop was to come up to the
other bridge (now unused I believe) over the freeway and Paramatta Road.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport