Re: $198 return fare on the Overland

Taliesin Walker wrote in message <39081689_2@news.chariot.net.au>...

>James C. <james_ccj@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>8e5vta$204$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8e5vta$204$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
>> In article <39068095_2@news.chariot.net.au>,
>>   "Taliesin Walker" <taliesin@chariot.net.au> wrote:
>> > Currently $198 first class fares are currently being advertised on
>> Adelaide
>> > radio. This isn't so much more than an economy airfare, and that is
>> when the
>> > airlines are having a sale.
>> Last time I check airfare=240$ with lousy, cold and stinky food,
>> unfriendly staffs,tiny chair, no leg room  and bumpy ride:-)
>>
>The Overland ride can be a little bumpy too. :)
>

>> > If these prices, along with lower (similar to bus fares) coach class
>> fares
>> > could have been maintained year round on the old Overland timetable
>> the
>> > train could really have been a real option for a lot more Adelaide <->
>> > Melbourne passengers. Oh, well.
>> >
>> > Tali
>> 30$ coach fare will be available during off season (not right now)
>> and more advertisment would help(on TV, movie cinema,newspaper), you
>> will be amazed many people don't even know Overland exist.
>Yeah, or if they do, they ring up GSR and are told that a return ticket
>costs $150. It makes the train too expensive for some people who could be
>lifting the passenger volumes.
>
>Anyway, I don't think that taking the train will be a realistic option for
>most interstate travellers given the new timetable.
>
>> --
>> Cheers
>>
>> James
>>

>> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>> Before you buy.

I must say that the fares are too high for what you get.  The service or
seating on the airlines may not be crash hot, but you are in Adelaide in a
hour.

If it were $198 return for a sleeping berth on an overnight Overland in both
directions then it would be really worth it.

The new timetable like the fare is not for me, if anyone else.

To many, the Overland finished when the BG service was withdrawn.  During
the intervening months of the changeover from BG to SG, bus companies and
airlines capitalised to change the publics' travelling habits, and the
Overland was forgotten.
When it returned, it did so with increased rail fares.

I can't see the new timetable being conducive to those Adelaide and Port
Adelaide football fans, for it means an overnight stay in Melbourne.  When
there was a 7 night a week Overland, a 'Crow' or 'Port Power' supporter
could arrive in Melbourne on Saturday morning and leave that same night to
be home on Sunday morning.  The same was true for those travelling to
Adelaide from Melbourne clubs.

Are there any special fares or deals to entice football fans to travel by
train.  Remember when AN put stainless steel s.g. IP lounge cars on the b.g.
Overland for football patrons and sometimes sponsored the Adealide 'Crows'.
Remember the extra long Overlands at Grand Final times.

It seems that GSR is slowly squeezing itself out of the market.

GSR advertising for the Overland on the electronic media is non-existent.

Since all the changes I have never travelled by rail to Adelaide, mainly
because of the fares and certainly won't travel on a train that arrives in
Melbourne late at night.

Not even many railfans travel on the Overland like they used to.

Vale Overland!!

regards, Grahame.