Re: Dubbo XPT hits truck

"Nobodyhere" <dweebken@yahoo.com.auNOSPAM> wrote in message
news:3907F6A4.B1D0EF84@yahoo.com.auNOSPAM...
> Saw it on 9 news. According to police the warning lights were working
> and the truck driver faces criminal charges. The truck driver is in
> hospital with bad leg injuries, three passengers are injured. The train
> was near Orange and was doing some 130km/h. I believe the lead unit was
> X2012. It derailed some hundred metres from the impact - nose cone
> broken in on left side, otherwise little damage.
>
> From what I saw of the footage, with the buckled track, it was amazing
> that no one was killed. There must have been an emergency brake
> application in time to prevent disaster. There were apparently 170 +
> passengers on the train - I think we can see the potential here. Anyone
> want to lobby for boom gates?
>
> Brendan

I doubt the XPT would have doing 130 as immediately after the level crossing
in  the down direction  is a facing set of points where the double track
from Orange goes back to one track. I was at Spring Hill on Monday 24th
photographing WT27 and it definitely wasn't doing 130 then. It does
immediately accelerate though after Spring Hill for the run on the double
track into Orange.
--
Regards,
Chris Stratton