Re: [Vic] 10pm at RTS with 38s

James C. wrote:

> When to RTS late last night...3801 and 3830 still steaming at the turn
> table. G540(FV colored) and G520 silencely watch beside. Crew quickly
> load coal and water on to both locos. 42 and 442 backed a few water
> tank carriages and 2 passenger carriages and head north 10 minutes
> before Ghan passed by. ARHS specailly ordered coal truck to load coal
> into the tanker.
>
> Ghan went through just after half pass ten, surprisingly all the
> sleepers looked full but the coach class are quite empty. NR is so much
> quieter then 442 and 42.
>
> --
> Cheers
>
> James
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

So you were there !

Thanks to Yuri I spent an evening down at dynon with two friends to seek
out
this info ( and to see the 38's ) - talked to one of the victorian drivers
who
is a friend. He said a "G" derailed in front of the 38's blocking 'em in -
and
causuing chaos for the organisers.

Me hears ( correct me please ) diesals took the train back and the 38's
eventually steammed into Melbourne about 8.30pm to Dynon.

My first close look at the 38's was last night. 3801 was on the turntable
blowing down, then  reversed into a road. Then 3830 wentr onto the table,
turned
and reversed into another road.  4201 - the first I have seen of it then
went
onto the turntable.

To break our concentration, 4 "G" all vline colours then passed by on their
way
off to earn their keep- quite a powerfull lashup.

4201 was then reversed. 3801 got a drink and coaling was started. 3830 then

moved onto the turntable and blew down, reversing back to park and have a
drink.

Nice and peceful, not a lot of people around. Seeing the steam rise all
over
Citilink was fun, I hope they  accounted for steam spray !

Later 4201 coupled to 42211 reversed out of the loco with the two water
gins etc
and went off.

It turned out to be an interesting night there.

Missed the Ghan though.

Regards,
David Head