[Qld] Brisbane Valley branch

Post on behalf of:Queensland Railways Interest Group -
http://welcome.to/qrhistory/

Hi all,
On Good Friday 21-4-2000, I took my new car for a "test run" north of
Brisbane and via the former Kilcoy and Brisbane Valley Branches for a
little
look-see.
Thought I'd mention a few things I saw, for those who may be
interested, or
for those who may have never ventured near these once busy former
Branches.

KILCOY/WAMURAN Branch:-
MOODLU - Hard to see tops of rail from highway as grass has taken over
(and
it was just after sunrise....)
WAMURAN - Station building removed, truck-loading facilities provided
for
the conveyance of pineapples, etc, on former station site, loop remains
but
blocked by containers placed on rails, dead-end still remains
(continuation
of branch line) but completely overgrown.
D'AGUILAR - evidence of formation and quite easy to identify site of
former
station.
WOODFORD - didn't really stop as I've already taken photos in this area.
Turned left towards the Woodford Prison to travel closer to original
alignment.
DURUNDUR - no real formation evident but easy to "guess" where line may
have
been.
Obvious formation against hillside, embankments and cuttings quite high
off
the road.
NEUREM - signpost remains - dead giveaway! - tin waiting shed beside the
road, land quite flat in this region, hard to "guess" where line was
exactly.
VILLENEUVE - impressive cutting at Stanley River crossing, where
original
alignment is now covered by water.
GLENFERN - formation obvious, numerous embankments and easy to locate
where
former trestle bridges were.
WINYA - located where highway crosses the original formation, cattle
yards
remain as a giveaway, formation quite evident.
KILCOY - easy to identify terminus.

BRISBANE VALLEY Branch:-
Travelled to terminus at Yarraman and only stopped at a few spots on the
return down the Brisbane Valley.
YARRAMAN - Station building removed to the Yarraman Historical Society
Centre along the same road which leads to the former station site,
public
weighbridge remains just over level-crossing, cattle yards and water
reservior remain, formation evident (particularly former fork), former
Paper
Mill Siding formation evident.
YIMBUN - can just make out where former siding may have been, not far
from
highway.
TOOGOOLAWAH - station building remains (is this the closest remaining
station building to the terminus?), goods shed, loop and siding all in-
tact.
MT HALLEN - level-crossing on Gatton Road bitumised over, rails were
still
in place under 2 years ago.

Hope this info interests some.
Will most likely visit the entire branch line again soon.
Anyone interested in coming along is most welcome.
Will probably organise another visit to the tunnel between YIMBUN and
HARLIN - quite a lovely walk from HARLIN.

--
Cheers

James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/