Re: Suburban densities and rail service (was Re: Putting light rail in subway)

In article <3906681D.65A061E4@nmit.vic.edu.au>,
david  <david@nmit.vic.edu.au> wrote:

>> > You have your chronology all wrong. The through running came
>first, sometime
>> > around 1880.
>>
>> Even my grandparents weren't born in 1880, and bogie exchanges were the
>> norm when I was a kid in Melbourne in the 1960s.
>>
>> David McLoughlin
>> Auckland New Zealand
>
>Melbourne-Adelaide was untill the standard gauge a broad gauge
>link- no gauge
>changing.
>Sydney-Brisbane has standard gauge ( not sure of the dates though )
>
>Bogie exchange in Melbourne would have been for the standard gauge
>to Sydney.
>
>Regards,
>David Head

   Suburban densities should be irrelevant for train service
since people should drive to a station for a short hop
through dense areas.  But the dense areas themselves are
leftovers from earlier eras.

--
# If HMOs ran the post office, 44.3 million Americans would get no mail. #
#       Phono FAQ: http://www.pagesz.net/~henryj/phono.htm.              #