Re: [Vic] On Melbourne Radio this morning

Succinctly (sp?) put.

However, judging by the financial commitments in the govt's transport
policy, it will be built in stages. They've allocated half the money
this year and the other half next year. This might mean to start with,
it would go to Springvale Rd or to Vermont S.C.

This would not be pointless, because it would link in the shopping
centre and connect with the (hopefully much improved) Springvale Rd
bus. We would of course be disappointed if they then forgot about the
rest of the extension and left it at that.

The best way to provide immediate relief to the public transport
deserts of Knox is to organise decent bus services to cover the whole
area, feeding in to the rail stations. There is no substitute.

Vaughan

> As I pointed out when you said this the other week, this extension is
> not a commuter link to the CBD but a lineal suburban route serving
large
> numbers of schools, businesses, shopping centres and residential areas
> which are poorly served by public transport. Stopping it at Springvale
> Road would be pointless.
>
> The same rationale is behind extending the Mont Albert line to Box
Hill.
> This is not so people in Box Hill can spend an hour taking a tram to
the
> city -- they will continue to spend less than 30 minutes getting there
> in the train. The extension is to provide people in Kew and Balwyn
with
> quick access to the Box Hill hub, and to provide access to Balwyn and
> Kew for people farther east who will arrive at Box Hill by train and
> switch to the tram.
>
> David McLoughlin
> Auckland New Zealand

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/