Re: [Vic] On Melbourne Radio this morning

David Bromage wrote:

> Royce Columbine wrote:

> > * Extention of East Burwood Tram to Knox
>
> Quite ambitious. WOuld have been bettr to propose extending to Springvale
> Road, then when that's done (or underway) propose the next bit.

As I pointed out when you said this the other week, this extension is
not a commuter link to the CBD but a lineal suburban route serving large
numbers of schools, businesses, shopping centres and residential areas
which are poorly served by public transport. Stopping it at Springvale
Road would be pointless.

The same rationale is behind extending the Mont Albert line to Box Hill.
This is not so people in Box Hill can spend an hour taking a tram to the
city -- they will continue to spend less than 30 minutes getting there
in the train. The extension is to provide people in Kew and Balwyn with
quick access to the Box Hill hub, and to provide access to Balwyn and
Kew for people farther east who will arrive at Box Hill by train and
switch to the tram.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand