Re: Suburban densities and rail service (was Re: Putting light rail in subway)

rnewman@thecia.net (Ron Newman) wrote:

> I'm confused by the responses.   If there is now through service
> between these various Australian cities

Yes, on the standard gauge links.

> does that mean that each Australian state no longer has its own
> different rail gauge?

The interstate connections are now all standard gauge for long haul
freight/passengers.  No each state still has its "local" gauge (or in
the case of South Australia two non-standard gauges).  NSW is the only
state with standard gauge as the "local" gauge.

There is not a lot of economic incentive to change the gauge (to
standard) on rail lines which are purely hauls from hinterlands to
local shipping ports within a state (i.e. coal, wheat etc) or are part
of metropolitan transit systems.

> Or that there's lots of dual-gauge equipment around?

But there is quite a bit of dual gauge trackage in various places....
I'm not sure how much is left but there used to be triple gauge
trackage in South Australia.

Cheers,

Bill