Re: Suburban densities and rail service (was Re: Putting light rail in subway)

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000 00:07:18 GMT, Deeg <galtfd@att.net> wrote:

>>You have your chronology all wrong. The through running came first, sometime
>>around 1880.
>>
>I'm having a little trouble sorting out who said what here, but
>through service from Sydney to Melbourne came first in 1962. No doubt
>it dates me, but I can very well remember changing trains at Albury.
>
>Through service to Brisbane: this surely wouldn't have happened as
>early as it did had it not been a relatively short extension of NSW
>railways to South Brisbane.
>
>Plenty of people still have enough of their wits to remember when a
>trip from Rockhampton to Perth required break of gauge at Brisbane,
>Albury, Port Pirie and Kalgoorlie.

And a change of trains too

For example in 1954 to get from Carins to Perth, If you left Cairns on
Monday afternoon:

14:00 Monday dep Cairns
06:25 Tuesday arr Brisbane (Roma Street) Change Trains for service to
South Brisbane or taxi or bus
11:25 Tuesday dep South Brisbane (Change Trains if one taken from Roma
Street)
07:20 Wednesday arr Sydney Change Trains
19:30 Wednesday dep Sydney
07:00 Thursday arr Albury Change Trains
07:50 Thursday dep Albury
11:30 Thursday arr Melbourne Change Trains
20:00 Thursday dep Melbourne
09:00 Friday arr Adelaide Change Trains
13:50 Friday dep Adelaide
16:15 Friday arr Port Pirie Change Trains
17:00 Friday dep Port Pirie
18:21 Friday arr Port Augusta Change Trains
18:30 Friday dep Port Augusta
17:20 Saturday arr Kalgoorlie Change Trains
19:05 Saturday dep Kalgoorlie
11:30 Sunday arr Perth

So even though there were 4 break-of-gauge stations, there were change
of trains at the following places; Brisbane, Sth Brisbane (possibly),
Sydney, Albury, Melbourne, Adelaide, Port Pirie, Port Augusta and
Kalgoorlie, that is at 7 or possibly 8 places and 6 days. In 1941 it
took over a week. Even these days it ain't no pleasure cruise. It
would make even the most dedicated gunzel seriously consider flying.

Les Brown
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose.