Re: Fines against rail and tram operators 'not big enough'

>Another example of the Sydney Airport curfew syndrome. Pay the fine for
>landing after curfew, which was cheaper than the alternative of flying
>elsewhere, accommodating 400 passengers, 17 cabin crew, 4 flight crew
>overnight elsewhere, then flying them back in the morning. I think they
>are right, the fines in Melboring are not high enough if they do not
>encourage the operators to fix the problem.

As far as trams go, the main problem is cars. On the #59 route as an
example, usage of Mt Alexander Road has gone through the roof since tolling
started on Citylink. This has caused trams to run mega-late (up to 45 mins
according to media reports).

What should be done, is removing tolls along at least the former
Tullamarine Freeway stretch of the Citylink, as it was never tolled before.
This can cause trams to run on time again, and allow the people who
rightfully own the road (forget about kennett selling it off) to use it for
what they paid for through petrol taxes over the years.

Kill two birds with one stone.

Regards

Michael